Monday, March 29, 2010

Heaven on Earth

With the semester coming to an end and work closing out I am finding myself pretty stressed out. It becomes frustrating because all I want to do is stop but I literally cannot so I have to find other ways to create peace within the day. This is a challenge sometimes to see the beauty in my surroundings while enveloped in my thoughts and strict schedule.


To start my day off I get up about thirty minutes early read a reflection from a prayer book or website, eat a bowl of cereal, and drink a cup of hot green tea while still in my PJ's. This allows me time to wake up, say hello to God and start on the right foot. I find this to be one of the most relaxing times of the day for me. Not much thinking happens during this time and I am just allowing my body to be soothed from the warmth of the tea and my soul awakened by God.
Then my day takes off running whether I am ready or not. My days mainly consist of class-lunch-class, more class-dinner-class again-work out-homework-4th meal-bed-repeat. As you can see there is not much down time involved in that schedule so I have to seek peace in daily occurrences.


Lunch is spent at my desk at work and I take this time to relax. I pull out my PB&J sandwich with my apple, turn on the radio and just relax. I stop all thoughts at this point and focus on nothing I am giving my body and mind a rest. The same sort of thing happens at dinner. I will go to the cafeteria, pick up a news paper and grab a table by myself to just veg out on a healthy meal and good ol' news. These are the times I make a conscious effort to rest during my day because I believe that rest is necessary to give life 100%.


As for the rest of my hectic day I do several things:
  1. I try to see the beauty in my surroundings and nature no matter where I am. I will pick out one thing and thank God for it.
  2. I try to see God in all my interactions. I ordered my sandwich from a woman today that is always smiling and I smiled back just as big because she brightened my day.
  3. I try to smile at as many people as possible and/or do something to brighten someone’s day.
These things are small but allow me to keep God involved in my day and to keep peace within my mind, body, and soul all throughout my day. This is my heaven on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment